The Japan America Society of Southern California is accepting applications from high school students to participate in the 6th TOMODACHI MUFG International Exchange Program, a two-week people-to-people exchange and learning program in early summer 2017.
Hosted by the U.S.-Japan Council’s TOMODACHI Initiative and sponsored by Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), including The Bank of Tokyo Mitsubishi UFJ and MUFG Union Bank, N.A., the exchange program offers a homestay experience with a Japanese family, visits to cities affected by the 2011 earthquake and tsunami, as well as educational and cultural visits to the cities of Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Kyoto.
The purpose of the exchange program is to enhance the students’ understanding of Japan, its people, language and culture, and to learn about disaster preparedness strategies. The program expenses are provided by MUFG.
Program Period: Saturday, June 24, 2017 to Sunday, July 9, 2017
Application Deadline: Monday, March 27, 2017, 11:59pm (PDT)
Contents of the Program: (Subject to change)
- People‐to‐people exchange with Japanese people through a home‐stay experience, visits to high schools and other cultural experiences
- Learning about disaster preparedness and crisis management through visits to Disaster Prevention Institutions
- Learning about the status of reconstruction process in the Tohoku region
- Visits to Japan's leading high tech industries
- Volunteer activities
Program Location and Accommodations: (tentative)
Tokyo, Miyagi, Hiroshima and Kyoto in Japan
Applicants must be:
Applicants must also:
- A U.S. Citizen
- Between 15 and 18 years old at the time of departure (June 25, 2017)
- Enrolled in a high school in Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, San Bernardino or Riverside Counties
- In good physical and mental health
- Willing to learn about the Japanese culture and interact and engage with the Japanese people
- Be able to take part in the entire program, including the orientation on Sunday, May 21, 2017
- Have not visited Japan for more than seven consecutive days within the past three years
- Have the consent of a parent(s) or a guardian(s)
- Not have plans to participate in any other program to study in or visit Japan prior to this program
- Be a native speaker of English
- Some Japanese language ability is preferred but not required
Program Details, Application and Recommendation Forms
For more information, download and read the following documents.
Please review your attachment contents prior to sending the document. Any incomplete or illegible forms will not be considered, and the applicant will be disqualified if all of the required documents are not submitted properly before the deadline.
- Program Announcement
- Press Release
- Application Form (Must be submitted by the applicant - typed)
- Teacher Recommendation Form (Must be submitted by the teacher - typed) - Please download the form onto your computer's "desktop" or "download" folder (not "Temp" folder, as the contents you type in may be deleted) and rename the file to "Recommendation Form - Last Name, First Name" using the applicant's name.
Photographs of your applications are not acceptable. Please scan your application forms and send them as PDF, not JPG files.
Thank you for your understanding.
Deadline to Submit Application: Monday, March 27, 2017, 11:59pm (PDT)
Upon receiving the application forms, a confirmation email will be sent.